Monday, February 4, 2013

The Garden Goals


The garlic is sleeping. That's what I tell myself sometimes, that the garden and shallots we planted in the fall are resting under the layer of snow outside, waiting to peek through in the spring.

We moved to this house too late to get a true garden going, but as a housewarming gift, our generous friends made us a raised garden bed. Building a raised bed was something I had never tried because it seemed intimidating to me. My son will tell you what I have been saying for years when he brings a Lego construction to me with a question about where a teeny piece goes, "Give me just a minute here ... I'm not great with diagrams."

I would see diagrams of raised beds and think it was pretty complicated. It's not. It's a box. Inside you put some paper bags and some dirt.

But that little box is a start for us. I am so determined this year to grow, grow, grow (and put some seeds in soil to make vegetables, too).

In a perfect world, we would have an abundance of tomatoes to can at the end of the season. We would have fresh herbs, for cooking and tea. We would have cucumbers for pickling and eating, potatoes, Swiss chard and kale, green beans for a girl I know, zucchini for bread and muffins, peas, carrots, squash, radishes, onions, and of course, the garlic and shallots.

But those last two are already there.

They're just sleeping, remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment