Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Making friends through homeschooling without worrying about "socialization"


Are you visiting today from Simple Homeschool? Thank you for stopping by! This is my relatively new blog all about homeschooling, backyard farming, food, knitting, and the general trouble created by too much vinegar and baking soda in one house. To read more, you can subscribe here, or find me on Facebook or Pinterest!

For those not visiting via Simple Homeschool, I was fortunate enough to contribute a piece about the age-old "socialization" question today:


Whew, I remember thinking -- we were finally part of something. It was so handy to have that answer ready in my back pocket when the grocery clerk or dental assistant asked us how my kids socialized.

"We have a group!" I would say.

Problem solved.

Or was it?

My kids were interacting. They were invited to birthday parties. They had "friends."

"A friend is someone who likes you ..." I would read Joan Walsh Angland's little classic to my children and ask myself, do these people really like us, or are we all just here at the same time?

It was a fair question, I think. Our activities seemed to revolve around parent chit-chat and trying to get a handle on this new homeschooling gig.

We were our own little Ellis Island, brought together by circumstance, some of us not even speaking the same "homeschool" language.


Read more at Simple Homeschool and please let me know what you think!

Thanks for stopping by!!




4 comments:

  1. Hey! I am stopping by from Simple Homeschool. :). I loved your post. I also love your "about me" on this sweet blog. I'm a born and raised farm girl myself. But we live in NYC currently. And I'm trying to figure out how to get back to being a farm girl, at least while my kids are young and love to run amuck. So, instead of just moving out into the country we are traveling all around. They say the joy is in the journey. I'm learning this is true. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiasa!

    Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello! I am popping over to your blog now to see about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post about socialization. I can relate to ALL of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete